Sea-Bird SBE- 43 Dissolved Oxygen Sensor
The SBE 43 is an individually calibrated, high-accuracy oxygen sensor to assist in critical hypoxia and ocean stoichiometric oxygen chemistry research on a variety of profiling and moored platforms. Careful choices of materials, geometry, and sensor chemistry are combined with superior electronics and calibration methodology to yield significant gains in performance.
The SBE 43 is designed for use in a CTD’s pumped flow path, providing optimal correlation with CTD measurements. The elapsed time between the CTD and associated oxygen measurement is easily quantified, and corrected for, in postprocessing. The black plenum and plumbing’s black tubing blocks light, reducing in-situ algal growth. Plumbing isolates the SBE 43 from continuous exposure to the external environment, allowing trapped water to go anoxic and minimizing electrolyte consumption between samples for moored deployments.
- Voltage or frequency output.
- Fully and individually calibrated; calibration drift rates of less than 0.5% over 1000 hours of operation (on time).
- For use in CTD pumped flow path, optimizing correlation with CTD measurements.
- Oxygen measurement dramatically improved because of improved temperature response.
- Signal resolution is increased by on-board temperature compensation.
- Continuous polarization eliminates stabilization wait-time after power-up.
- Hysteresis largely eliminated in upper ocean (1000 m) due to improved temperature response. Hysteresis at greater depths predicatable and correctable in post-processing.
- No degradation of signal or calibration when used for profiling in hydrogen sulfide environments.
- SBE 43 voltage output sensor can be integrated with any Sea-Bird CTD that accepts 0-5 volt auxiliary sensor input. It is available with 600 m plastic or 7000 m titanium housing; XSG or wet-pluggable MCBH connector; 0.5-mil membrane.
- SBE 43F frequency output sensor can be integrated with SBE 52-MP or Glider Payload CTD, or used for OEM applications; it is available with 600 m plastic or 7000 m titanium housing. Another 43F version is used as an integral part in SBE 37-SIP-IDO MicroCATs.